September 24, 2009

Stirrings

Crossing the street in Cochabamba requires intuition, eagle-eyes, and perfect judgment. Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way, crosswalks are afterthoughts, and red lights function more like yield signs. Manuvering the Round-About is another skill in itself; one that I am quickly learning because it is literally a matter of life and death.

However, once each year, Cochabamaba closes its streets to cars and busses, and declares a "pedestrian day". This is a phenomenon to behold; and one has to be on the guard not to be run over by bicycles as the city takes to the streets!

This year, nine evangelical churches took this opportunity to reach out to the city in creative ways of service and evangelism.
Hundreds of young people spread out down the main avenue armed with enthusiasm, boldness, servant-hearts, and matching yellow shirts.

I've included a few pictures of the day below; but for me, the most impacting was seeing the youth of the church step out in boldness as a witness of a faith that is alive and passionate and life-changing. Bolivia is so in need of revival among the young people. It was a privilege and a blessing to see the stirrings of the Holy Spirit work among them.

I got to practice my Spanish on the kids by inviting them to see the puppet shows,
admire profusely all the things they made, and pray for the hundreds of people who were touched in some way by the love of Christ.

God is doing some awesome things in Bolivia. I'm so glad that I can be part of it, and a support to the many missionaries who are working here.

Thank you so much for your continued prayers and emails!





3 THINGS that have become habit in the six weeks I've been here:
1) Disinfecting all my fruits and vegetables after coming home from the grocery store.
2) Throwing my toilet paper in the garbage, NOT in the toilet.
3) Greeting people by kissing them on the cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment